Tuesday, December 4, 2007

THE CALL: Part Two

..."I got my call."
Was it the magi-noodles or the raw apricots that I had pigged on? I really couldn’t care less to investigate. I knew I had to answer my call. My churning bowels would not negotiate with me. My brains, being oxygen-depleted already, had no will to fight back. I had to answer!

I asked my friends to go ahead as privacy is ever at a high premium on these barren slopes. As they accommodatingly vanished from my sight, solitude set in for me to make my move. I had to improvise a balance for my lumbering body on a near vertical rock face. The winds were still determined to dislodge me. I could hug the mountain and let the wind face the problem. Or, I could face the wind and dig in my fingers like pitons into the rock-face. I chose the second. Till this point, it was all an idea and now I have to execute the plan. The wind was relentless. The rush of cold air was intimidating. With a deep breath and focused concentration, I slowly moved in to strike a pose, carefully placing my feet on the surest footing. I didn’t want to tempt a free fall or an embarrassing slide on my back. A contortionist would marvel at how my muscles locked in to keep a steady position. Just when you think you have everything in order, Murphy slams you with one of his laws. The purification rites that would inevitably follow struck me before I could answer my call. The mountains around here could not be more barren especially when you are desperate. Where was the shrub that comes as a last resort? Even a stinging nettle wouldnt hurt but then again, this was above the tree line. We had just a bottle of water and I reckoned we would need it at the summit before our descent. Leaves were out of the equation. So was water. I had already started eyeing the pebbles with their raspy edges that were strewn around when ‘aha.’ Never one to carry a handkerchief, I found one in my pocket. Minor problems though; this was a gift with my initials woven on to it. How could I desecrate someone’s remembrance? Improvisation being the need of the hour, I ripped the monogrammed half putting it back into pocket hoping my benefactor would not take it personally. I did not have time to gauge the odds.

Like the Matrix-ian Trinity poised in suspended animation, I was splayed across the mountain face. I had firmly moved into position. My purification rite was in place. I was ready to answer my call.

There I was, perched on an unknown mountain somewhere in interior Ladakh, wind beating up my you-know-what, my muscles locked in without which I’d be free-falling. Though not to belittle the sacrosanct inclinations generally associated with a ‘call’, I see a Moses ascending Mt. Sinai or an Abraham heading out to Moriah, out there on that precarious ledge I was whistling a tune, oblivious to the strained muscles but acutely cognizant of the fine line between relief and a free-fall. I had answered my call.

6 comments:

Calliopia said...

LOL a guy's gotta go when a guy's gotta go, huh? Nice one, what a hoot picturing you ....ermm doing what you were doing

Philo said...

Calliopia,
Cmon, you can now turn off that mental image! Hey your pix, the thumbnail and the dinner one, dont look the same...just thought id note that.

Zualteii Poonte said...

Well naturally they'd look different since they're literally different pix hehe. But I can assure you that the subject, mainly moi, is the same :P

Unknown said...

Hahahaha..what an urgent and real call! I thil ei ho chuan duh aiin 'san' an pe hma deuh che a ni maw nau nei tur damdaiin thleng hman ta lo ang maiin!
The beauty is so captivating that's why it is 'inviting' for me. I dreamt of going there after seeing all those photos. What can I say, It's love at first sight!!

Philo said...

hey storyteller, woaah!
Rosy, do make plans to go there...mizo trong a i ron ziah hi ka va man lo ve, Akkadian in min han leh sak mai teh?

Anonymous said...

Akkadian 'baru' ang i ni, called for something by a higher one!! you are the real 'baru'. Greek ho leh German ho in engtin nge an tih ve le?