Sunday, July 29, 2007

Of awe and laughter!




Rummaging through a file of pictures that I had taken on a serendipitous trip through the northern Himalayas and then standing that reminiscing alongside an article I came across the National Geographic on how mountains come to be, the latter put in place the dynamics/mechanics of the former, of that which had caught the attention of my camera. The aesthetics, my short-hand for what I think got me glued to the mountains, was a delightful experience worth lodging into timeless memory. The mechanics, my short hand for the causal scrutiny of the aesthetics, explain the how-s, when-s and why-s but for some reason sobered off the sense of amazement that had initially enraptured me. Some ‘things-as-they-are’ flavored by their contexts in time and space are best appreciated as and how they hit one’s immediate perceptions. As an afterthought, I recall a friend who thought that the words of that much-sung hymn, “O Lord My God” were intentional. Hum it along as you are reminded,
O Lord, my God, when I in awesome wonder
Consider all the worlds thy hands have made
I see the stars

Did you catch that! This friend thought that on considering creation and just the wonder of it, he saw stars…in both their literal and metaphorical sense. O that un-problematized sense of awe and wonder at creation!

On a totally different though connected tangent, meet Le Petomane-the Flatulist, an actual performer during the Moulin Rouge’s heydays I’m told. Sitting more like a fish-out-of-water among theatre buffs watching the production of “Can-Can” I was rather tickled on observing that among the moments that got the more uproarious response was Le Petomane’s solo. As a ‘Fartist’ (which was how he was introduced), he had a cup to his bum-hole that amplified his syncopated farts to the tune being played by the orchestra. Even as I write, I smile and I wonder why? Freud’s patent suggestion was a repression of the olfactory senses by the domination of the visual as homo-sapiens started walking erect. But notice that a private fart is never funny. It becomes funny only when it’s let out in public space. Flatullent humor must be social but before I dissect the dynamics any further, I want to preserve my instinct to laugh when one is let off.
Ps: I must acknowledge a certain blogger's constant nudging encouragement in getting this out.

8 comments:

Mizohican said...

Since I'm the only other blogger who have commented on your blog so far, is it safe to assume that I'm the blogger you're talking about? :)

What were you doing in the Himalayas? Nice pics. The words spoken by your friends really do strike a deep cord within.

Philo said...

Yup, one doesnt really need a sarlawk bawms to crack that twister but just thought of making a discrete acknowledgement..yeah right! Was in the hills for various reasons but on this particular one, to collect ethnographical data for something i was working on. Danke-for being that sole respondent!!

EPISTEMOLOGY said...

hmmsss..!

Philo said...

Good to see some variety in the response section!!! Hruaia, thanks for stopping by.

Unknown said...

oh o I'm loving it! hey I mean the pics not the Macdonald's. I think you will make a good photographer instead of doing other things!! Its very nalh tuar2 and it really goes well with that hymn you qouted.

Unknown said...

Oh o I'm loving it..I mean the pics not the macdonalds, they are really good. i think you will make a good photographer, why not go ahead and take more trainings to be a freelance nature photographer! It goes well with the hymn you qouted.

Philo said...

What maa, you should pore beyond the pix. Thanks maa.

Unknown said...

Hey, sorry yaar. But i did read the full article u are just too quick to judge..its just that i like the pics sooo much. Any new articles??