Monday, April 28, 2008

Bench-warmers

I’ve never been much of a singer. At best, I mimic tunes that I have either internalized over the years or memorized because I simply liked the tunes. The choir director at the church I attend had more fingers on the piano than members and was always on the lookout for another voice. Sitting in the last row, I was simply bellowing my way through “Holy, Holy, Holy” when apparently my Welsh-riffed, un-modulated throaty mimicry transfigured into the stuff of cherubic choirs. From that day on, I would get weekly invitations to join the choir and I would invariably smile a polite declination. It was not that the sudden turn of attention had gotten to my head but rather a quirky angst. A choir was the last place I’d want to stand in when facing people. Part of my hesitance had to do with my limited repertoire (the choir sang a new song practically every week) and also my being musically illiterate. The symbols on the score still remind me of tadpoles that I chase across the octaves.

The invitations never flagged. At risk of becoming a pricey ‘star’, I decided to give it a shot. We met a half-hour before we were to actually sing. When the music sheet for that day was handed to me, I instinctively ‘O hell-ed’ on reading a title I had never seen before. Everyone else rehearsed the notes in their heads while I kicked myself for the discomfort zone I had signed up for. The director then got the accompaniment going, the choir harmonized while I improvised rather unsuccessfully. An extra sustain never fails to draw attention. To skip over self-evident details, I let it be known that part of my struggle was primarily because I did not read music. Even though the invitations have stopped since, I continue to enjoy contemplative moments with others in the pews or even the occasional bellow from the last row.

On a side note for those who grew up on the cult kung fu classics, The Forbidden Kingdom is a must watch. Jet Li and Jackie Chan provide action where the drunken master shines in the monkey’s shadow. Except for the opening and penultimate scenes that were densely CGI-d, expect to lose yourself in some of the most breathtaking locations in a movie. The plot is simple without any dense twists. No connecting of contrived dots. Crouching gave us kung fu with strings attached. Forbidden ups the ante by spiking Jackie’s innovation with Jet’s speed. It could get better only if you threw in a Michelle Yeoh or Chow Yun Fat.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I zai thiam kha le, You can sing "Four Day's Late" with the high octave Oh o was that a mimicry!! Hey rock star kal sual pa. Last sunday night I watched "Letters from Iwo Jima" and it helped me see the WW-II from a Japanese eye. A hmuhnawm dan a boring trep!

DayDreamBeliever said...

How in the world did you get into the choir in the first place without without them knowing that you can't read music? LOL. For what it's worth, neither can I, except for the "tonic solfa" variety. Anyhow, don't lose heart, the 'occasional bellows' from the last row would surely prove as beautiful to the One who matters, methinks.

Philo said...

mami...i va chhe reuh!

DDB, now that you point it out and in retrospect, my brief stint in the choir does seem rather quixotic. Maybe the sudden turn of attention got to me. Kya kare!

Mizohican said...

I guess us "Lalruatkimas" aren't made to be singers by the ever-Almighty. :-(

I am soooooo looking forward to that movie. Except that, I feel a bit down after you said there's heavy CGI. Damn. Jackie Chan and CGIs don't mix. Still, I will watch the movie first day first show here in the theatres :-)

Philo said...

Illusionaire: Thanks. Album tlangzarh tur neihloh poh a traumatic em lovang chu! Hows the Basketball coming along?

Anonymous said...

Methinks you should have played it coy while smiling and declining the weekly invitations while occasionally letting out your 'bellows' just enough to tantalise the Director. :)
Watched The Forbidden Kingdom last weekend. Frankly, it wasn't as good as I'd expected it to be despite the Jackie Chan-Jet Li combination. Maybe its me, but I just couldn't 'get into' the movie/story, if you know what I mean - it felt as if they were just going through the motions. Not a patch on old classics like Enter The Dragon, etc. which I'd watch again, anytime. If I were one of those critics reviewing the movie, I'd probably rate it 'avoidable' though any kungfu/Jackie Chan/Jet Li fan would see it anyway. Like me :)

zolanu_riang said...

kan thil ton a in ang teuh hle mai

Calliopia said...

When I was taking piano lessons at school I actually knew how to read music. Well, piano sheet music anyway. All those little bars and clefs and whatnots. But that was a long long time ago and I've since forgotten absolutely everything.

What's that about "rock star kal sual pa" btw? Do we have a latent rockstar here? ;)

Philo said...

ChaoticSerenity: The person I watched Forbidden with couldn't have agreed more with you. On the choir, what can i say? I just gave in and milked a post out of it too.

Zolanu:Thanks for stopping by.

Calliopia:The rockstar is a relic from college days. Didn't progress far but had our share of fun. Needless to say, someone else sang for the now obvious reasons.

JOe blow said...

M.C.'ing, Choir, name on a book you're putting me to shame here man. Need to slow down.
Forbidden was painful man, I felt like I was watching Chronicles of Narnia or something.

Philo said...

IndigentUnrest,
Yeah crucify me for thumbs-upping Forbidden Kingdom. Hyuk! Chaoticserenity, meet the other person i was telling you of who groaned through the movie while I was lost in the jouissance of the moment.